Friday, January 28, 2005

Babysitting Murray

I found out this morning that I am going to be babysitting my colleague Elliot's dog Murray, a really really cute English Cocker Spaniel puppy for a few hours tomorrow. I love dogs - of a few kinds - and fortunately for me, I love his ilk. I am so excited to do this. I do want a dog of my own, though Raji has some pretty strong - and clinching - arguments against them.

Pets as a whole, to people like me, are wonderful things. As much as I agree with Animal rights activists who say that keeping Pets is wrong - for a myriad of reasons that I won't get into - they still tug at my heart. Dogs are wonderful beings, providing unconditional love to us, lowering our blood pressure and relaxing us with their undemanding (for the most part) presence. Cats, on the other hand, behave as though you are fortunate to have them. I love cats as well, by the way.

There was a time when I was mortally scared of most dogs, but now I have mostly grown up. I still loathe Rotties, Pit Bulls, Bull Terriers and all intimidating dogs in general, but I love puppies. They aren't too bad at that age, much like children, who can bowl you over with one look or action.

Maybe I ought to tell Raji that we ought to first get a dog, and then if I really like the experience and can be responsible enough to be a "Father" to a doggie, we can start that family that she has been talking about.

At least, it's not to buy a silly SUV. :D

No comments: